Martial Arts Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students and teachers of all martial arts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am looking for the Japanese (or western) name of the breakfall uke does to escape from oshitaoshi. Basically, this is a half cart wheel that uke does when tori applies oshitaoshi.

In the drawing below, steps 7-9 are the break fall although in this illustration, uke's feet do not rise as much as we do -- probably because the drawing are done from a more static/slow technique instead of the explosive power we tend to use...


share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

In aikido, this is apparently called a "katate (single-handed) sokuten (cartwheel)" ukemi.


Also, in Bujinkan ninjutsu, they refer to this as a "katate oten" ukemi.


There may be other names for it as well, depending on the martial art.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.