I recently watched Birth of the Dragon on Netflix, and absolutely loved it. However, one particular movement caught my eye above all others, simply for the overwhelming appearance that something unfortunate could happen to either party at any moment. The movement is performed by Master Wong during the final fight scene (timestamp included):


I understand that movies and TV can add interesting concepts to stunts for a "wow" factor, but I can't help but wonder if there's actual naming in the martial arts community for such a movement so that I can learn more about it.

What is the spinning movement performed by Master Wong called?

  • On other sites, the YouTube link becomes an embed; is that just a rep requirement issue that someone could fix with an edit, or should I include screenshots for future readers?
    – Taco
    Commented Sep 20, 2021 at 23:27
  • 1
    It's a per-site thing. I could have sworn there was a Meta topic requesting it, but I'm having no luck. Commented Sep 21, 2021 at 11:55

1 Answer 1


That movement is essentially a mix of a flying arm bar and a spinning arm bar with a bit of extra spinning added in to make it look more cinematic.

  • 1
    Note that these techniques are to submit the opponent. In a fight for your life, you would just break the arm, without worrying about controlling them to the ground.
    – mattm
    Commented Sep 21, 2021 at 15:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.