What is the official terminology for boxing jab hover called? See video below. This is where the boxer hovers/waves his hand in a circle to confuse opponent, in attempts to jab punch. I tried google searching for boxing "hover", but did not see anymore resources.


Wanted to find the official name/terminology, so I can look into further and its uses, etc. Open to Kung fu/Karate terminology also, if its not really seen in boxing.

enter image description here


1 Answer 1


The term is "Pawing jab".

Here's an analysis of how Thomas "The Hitman" Hearns used it to great effect as a measuring stick, a 'stiff-arm', to manipulate line-of-sight, and to set up his devastating right.

  • Side note, using it as a "stiff-arm" in boxing is technically the violation of "posting" when you're within striking range and can get you penalized. Commented Dec 6, 2021 at 21:17
  • @MacacoBranco. True. The video acknowledges this and provides a good example of how some rules can be bent in boxing without significant consequence. There is so much money involved, most referees will feel an enormous amount of pressure to not allow a series of (relatively) minor transgressions to determine the outcome of a fight, even if they should technically result in disqualification. If there hasn't been already, a question re. 'dirty boxing' tactics might be interesting. Commented Dec 7, 2021 at 0:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.