Recently my karate teacher told us to find out the name of the position (or it might have been the act of retracting your leg after a kick - I can't remember) when you retract your leg after a kick. For example after a front kick (mae geri), you kick and then you retract your leg before going back in your stance. He gave us a hint : it starts with the letter w (in japanese)

  • The closest I can find is waza - "technique" - traditional-karate.com/karate/terms.html#Kerikata – JohnP Dec 6 '17 at 20:24
  • I found that, but I don't think that's it. – beannshie Dec 6 '17 at 20:54
  • I don't either, that's just about the only non technique W I could find. and nothing specifically about retraction/recovery. – JohnP Dec 6 '17 at 20:57
  • Either way, thank you, this list of terms might be useful. – beannshie Dec 6 '17 at 20:59
  • You might get an answer on japanse.se – Sardathrion Dec 7 '17 at 8:12

引き /hiki/ meaning "pulling; drawing back" might fit, though it doesn't begin with w.


I know in some schools they teach that the transitional stance before/after a kick is neko-dachi (the cat stance). I remember being quized on this very question in class once and that was the answer.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.