In the world of Karate competitions, what are some technical rules that can disqualify a kata? For example, if the stance is too deep and Zenkutsu dachi has its front knee, well before the toe, will it be considered for disqualification?
In the WKF 2018 competition rules document, the following are considered valid reasons for disqualification during a kata competition :
- Not presenting yourself when called
- Performing the wrong kata or announcing the wrong kata
- Failing to bow at the beginning and completion of the kata performance
- A distinct pause or stop in the performance
- Interference with the function of the judges
- Belt falling off during the performance
- Failure to follow the instructions of the Chief Judge or other misconduct
- In Team Kata & Bunkai, exceeding 6 minutes for the demonstration
- In Team Kata & Bunkai, using weapons or ancillary equipment
- In Team Kata & Bunkai, performing a scissor takedown technique to the neck area
Concerning technical mistakes like incorrect stances, those are considered in the final evaluation and the competitor will be deducted points accordingly.