In which conditions can a foreigner reach the title Shaolin monk?

Should they go to an institute, being in homeland and training at age 4-5?

Is this title reserved for a dedicated group of people?

  • As per martialarts.stackexchange.com/q/7719/1780, signs point to that you cannot. – Macaco Branco Mar 23 '20 at 16:31
  • 1
    If you're asking how a foreigner can become a monk at Shaolin Temple, I answered that at the link Macaco Branco mentioned above. You can't. You can become a disciple. It's not the same, but that shouldn't stop you. As for not being a foreigner and instead living in China and raising your kid age 4 or 5, that's a question I've not asked before. I think it's exceedingly rare (almost impossible) for any Chinese born national to be picked to be a monk. For a foreigner's kid, it would be even more impossible. They probably will not take non-Chinese monks, period. I don't know for sure... – Steve Weigand Mar 23 '20 at 16:43
  • 1
    ... Your best bet if you want to train like a monk or want your kid to train like a monk is to become a disciple under a monk and train there for however long you can. Then when you return to your own country, seek out others like you or ex-monks from Shaolin who now live in your country. They get around! You'd be surprised. Take plenty of video. Then train on your own by reminding yourself what to do from watching the video. – Steve Weigand Mar 23 '20 at 16:46
  • 1
    Does this answer your question? Could a non-Buddhist person become a monk/master at Shao-lin temple? – LemmyX Mar 23 '20 at 17:09
  • 1
    @LemmyX: Things come in waves. Sometimes it's a matter of someone seeing an existing question and thinking, "Hey, I've got something I want to ask about that." – Macaco Branco Mar 24 '20 at 16:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.