When I studied shorinji kempo one of my instructors (now passed away) taught me a 'yin' style of performing the Soto-Oshi-Uke Block.

This block for those unaware is against a curved Fri-zuki attack. The beginner way of doing this block is to meet the force at right angles as shown in figure 1. Figure 1

However the more advanced 'yin' version of this block involves contacting the incoming blow at a different angle. Figure 2 Figure 2

The result of this small change in angle is that the attacker (Tori) will come to kesushi and sometimes topple. Alternatively they will have to step. This superior blocking method allows a more time for the counter attack so makes your subsequent attack more effective.

My question is: Is there a way in which Uwa-Uke, (the upwards block usually used against downwards or straight attacks) can be performed in this 'Yin' style to have the same effect? Will this work on both gyaku-zuki and shito-zuki attacks or only one or the other?
Similarly will it work on both advancing forms of the block (as in Uwa-Uke-Zuki) or only in retreating forms (as in Uwa-Uke-Geri Omotte)?

Edit: I have realised a video might be helpful. This shows the yin block. https://youtu.be/Z8WSpU8lM3I?t=63

And here is the beginner 'yang' block https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soasaSCrR_I

  • I imagine this question should be answerable by a non-Shoriji-Kempo practitioner if you also provide translations. – mattm Jul 6 at 16:23
  • The translations don't really mean anything. They are just technique names. I guess I could find videos of them. – Huw Evans Jul 6 at 16:29
  • Gyaku zuki = reverse punch? – mattm Jul 6 at 16:30
  • Back hand punch. But yes reverse punch is the literal translation. – Huw Evans Jul 6 at 16:32
  • 1
    I do not understand the seotoshi (shoulder drop) comparison; that is a straightforward description of the throw in non-flowery language. Yama arashi (mountain storm) is an example of a technique where the translation does not help. Which category are we in? – mattm Jul 7 at 3:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.