In some Aikido styles (I have seen this only from people who trained with Tamura, like Suga sensei, but maybe other schools do the same) there is a whole series of techniques where Tori slips the ken in the obi, in the way it was worn by Samurai in the past.

After having done that, Uke attempts a grab (either of the hand resting on the ken, or of the free hand) and Tori executes a "normal" technique, i.e. Ikkyo, Nikkyo, Kotegaeshi etc. But alwyas using the sword handle to supplement the technique (and often as part of the final lock on the ground).

Is there a technical (Japanese) word to name this type of forms?

2 Answers 2


Thanks to @Sardathrion I was able to "deduce" the correct answer.

It is indeed Tachi Nage (as you can see here, for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRaylht6NNo) where Suga Sensei is performing a series of techniques while wearing a stheated sword in his Obi.

Alternatively also "SAYA NO UCHI" is a general term for this (saya means "Scabbard" - see also "Saya no Uchi - principle and practice").


The closes I can think of is "tachi dori" although that is a set of techniques within the goshin no kata against bokuto, not with. Apart from that, I do not think there is a specific name to those. After all, they are just application of normal techniques.

  • Well, yes - tachi dori is usually the "defender" using the ken to throw/pin down the "attacker" (just like jo-dori). If we use jo as a reference this would be more like "tachi nage" but I never heard this so maybe it does not make sense or it is not the right term anyway.
    – p.marino
    Commented Jan 22, 2018 at 10:41
  • 1
    Guess what? it is tachi nage, after all, thanks!
    – p.marino
    Commented Jan 22, 2018 at 10:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.